Poverty Creek, Bribie Island - July 5 - 7



Last weekend of the school holidays and we decided to head back to one of our favourite winter campsites, Poverty Creek on Bribie Island. We were on the road just before 4pm on Friday afternoon and after a short drive we had arrived at White Patch. After quickly airing down on the 4WD and Camper we started on the 7km sandy track into the camp ground. The recent rain had firmed the track up a bit and we had no trouble on the drive in. I was a little surprised to see so many campers as we drove in as its usually pretty quiet in winter but the combination of the last weekend of school holidays and beautiful weather must have given others the same idea as us…  We set up the camper as the sun set and soon had a fire going and quick dinner of Chicken Kebabs and fried rice. After dinner the kids retired to the camper to watch a movie and Anna and I enjoyed a couple of drinks around the fire while listening to the footy on the radio.

After a warm night we rose on Saturday morning to beautiful clear skies. Anna knocked up a tasty brekkie of bacon and eggs and once I finished washing up I was given a leave pass to take the kayak out and do a bit of fishing. I’ll let the photos speak for themselves as to how beautiful it is down on the water, unfortunately I didn’t have much luck with the fish but I really didn’t care as I had a couple of hours on the water enjoying the sun and scenery. While I was out on the water Anna and the girls played on the foreshore and practised their tree climbing… The tide started running out I didn’t feel like dragging the kayak back over the mudflats so I headed in just before lunch time. After lunch we hung out around camp and enjoyed the warm sunny day, later in the afternoon we went for a short walk and the kids found a few more mangrove trees that were worth a climb. While down by the water we watched the other campers catch a few bream on the falling tide so I dashed up to camp and grabbed the rods and bait. Anna was first to land a fish which was a tiny whiting and then things went quiet and I thought I was going to be out down by Anna… The kids soon lost interest and I was keen to stay to make sure I caught something,. I eventually managed 5  palm sized rat bream all well under size but better than nothing. Dinner tonight was a lamb roast in our Neo Buddy BBQ and Anna put this on at 4.30 and I got the fire going so we had something to stare at once it got dark. Anna and the girls watched the sun set behind the Glass House Mountains from down by the water and I kept an eye on the lamb while doing by best to empty the fridge of its contents.  After a yummy dinner we settled in around the fire and listened to the Lions vs Wallabies game, after a disappointing result it was off to bed.

Sunday morning was another fantastic morning and we spent it slowly packing up and generally relaxing around the camp. By lunch we had completely packed up and went for another walk and spent some time enjoying the scenery down by the Pumistone Passage. Sadly it was time to head home and after an uneventful drive out we were soon airing back up and 40 minutes later unpacking back at home.

Here are some pictures of our stay.

Trip distance = 106km
Total distance travelled with camper = 6063km
Total number of nights =43

















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Cape York - Day 28, Calliope River to Glass House Mountains 13/07/2018

Cape York - Day 27, O'Connell River to Calliope River 12/07/2018